pasta and beans… an olive garden classic.
this makes 2 soups from OG that we’ve copied (and made better). make an easy salad dressed with actual olive garden salad dressing. this meal will last two people 3 days… if you can stand it
- 1 lb italian sausage (or ground beef)
- 1 ½ cup yellow onion (chopped)*
- 1 cup carrots (diced)*
- 1 cup celery (diced)*
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 29 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp italian seasoning
- 1 cup ditalini pasta (or salad mac)
- 15 oz dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 oz great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- shredded parmesan
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Start heating a small pot of water to boil for the pasta
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large pot over medium high heat, add meat and cook, stirring occasionally until no pink remains
- Drain fat and transer to plate with napkin (for soakage)
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to pot
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium-high heat until tender
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, canned tomatoes, sugar, italian seasoning, and meat… salt and pepper to taste
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft (roughly 15-20 minutes)
- Prep ditalini pasta, cooking to al dente. Drain
- Add pasta to soup along with beans. If you want it thinner, add more water.
- Allow to cook 1 minute longer.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on top
* items marked with asterisk could be replaced by trader joe’s mirepoix if you’re lazy to chop all that up!